[rdiff-backup-users] Re: rdiff-backup restore from read-only file system

From: Andrew Price
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: rdiff-backup restore from read-only file system
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 20:40:35 +0100

J. Norment wrote:
> UnionFS looks great.  Unfortunately, I'm on an RPM based distro, so I
> can't install .tgz w/o risking a dependency nightmare (as far as I
> know) ...

>From a developer point of view, unionfs seems like overkill. I'd rather
not add another dependency to my package just to get around a read-only
file bug in another library.

> I've done some testing with the restore command and it seems (as the
> link you posted states) that it is possible to do the restores, it
> just complains about not being able to write the log file.  I was able
> to restore both a directory and a single file (as root).  I had what
> seemed like permissions issues when I tried to restore as a user.  (It
> errored and died.)  When restoring as root, however, it just
> complained, but did not die.

Oh, really? I'll have to do some more testing now that things are more
stable.

> Out of curiosity, what are you using to write to CD?

Nautilusburn (python bindings to nautilus-cd-burn). Although I've had a
few problems with it lately because the API is a moving target. You can
see my project (which I've recently adopted) at
http://andrewprice.me.uk/projects/pybackpack if you're interested in the
details.

Cheers

--