Re: [rdiff-backup-users] How do I setup the backup?

From: J. Norment
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] How do I setup the backup?
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 10:18:52 -0500

Using the --exclude statement directly in the command line appears to have done the trick.

thanks!

Douglas Bollinger wrote:

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 15:50:19 -0500
"J. Norment" <address@hidden> wrote:

I've tried to understand the backup exclude mechanism, but, apparently, have failed dismally.

-- so I'm just going to ask (I have been trying on -and off for about a
month now, and really need to get this online.)

I'm not sure if this will help you or not, but here's the exact command I use
to perform a system backup to a remote computer:

rdiff-backup --ssh-no-compression --exclude /proc --exclude /sys --exclude
/usr/tmp --exclude /tmp --exclude /usr/local/tmp --exclude /var/tmp --exclude
/media --exclude /mnt --exclude /home/doug/dvdrip --exclude /home/doug/cdburn
--exclude /usr/share/games/xplane /
mothra_backup::/home/backup/backup_sets/ghidorah

That's all one line.

-- Also -- now that rdiff backup has incorrectly backed up a path that I
don't want backed up, how do I reset it to a state where it thinks it is the
first backup ever -- so that I can continue testing with a clean set?

You can delete the rdiff-backup-data folder and then use --force option during
the next backup.