[rdiff-backup-users] Does rdiff-backup unlink before updating target fil

From: dme26-a4
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Does rdiff-backup unlink before updating target files? (for pooling)
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 18:38:53 +0100 (BST)

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been answered - the rdiff-backup wiki isn't working for me at the moment (no response from the server). I couldn't find any posts answering my question on this list.

As per the subject line, I'm keen to pool storage on a central backup server across backups from multiple machines (vaguely a la BackupPC). Say I had run rdiff-backup from /usr on two client machines with target directories b1 and b2 on the server respectively.

Were I to write a script that checksumed (and then full-compared files) across b1 and b2 and hard-linked those files that were identical, would I be at risk of having the next rdiff-backup from b1 ever modify files as seen from b2?

PS I'm very pleased with rdiff-backup - particularly the diffing within files.