Re: [rdiff-backup-users] convert existing mirror to rdiff-backup ?

From: Chris Wilson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] convert existing mirror to rdiff-backup ?
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 13:23:24 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Jesse,

I'm a newbie. rdiff-backup looks excellent. One thing I couldn't see mentioned in any of the online docs and wiki and so on, is whether I can somehow convert an existing mirror (currently maintained with plain rsync, no incrementals or anything) over to rdiff-backup?

Yes, just back up to the same directory with the --force option (first time) and it will effectively do an rsync, and create the rdiff-backup-data directory which holds the metadata. After that, please do not touch the directory with rsync or anything except rdiff-backup, and please remove the --force option from the rdiff-backup command.

If I can't do it direcly, perhaps I can first make an rdiff-backup copy of my mirror locally, and then update this new repository from my remote source?

Yes, you can do that as well. Some people do if they can't install Python on the storage server or the machine being backed up.

Cheers, Chris.
--