[rdiff-backup-users] Archive older files/speed question

From: Niki Hammler
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Archive older files/speed question
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 21:04:17 +0200

Hi,

1.) Is there a way to save old increments to another directory?
I'd like to archive all changes monthly on a DVD and like to keep diffs on the backup drive for only one or to months.

I've just found --remove-older-than.

I've looked on the internet but could not find anything about that.

2.) If for example would like to restore a file 365 days. Is it correct that I have to apply all diffs since then?

3.) I've already used rdiff-backup but I had a big problem that backup needed ~20 hours (http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/rdiff-backup-users/2005-02/msg00018.html) After that, I did it with rsync and backup was done in 5-8 minutes with the SAME source and destination directory.

Last use of rdiff-backup (2005-02-10): 14 hours 9 minutes 47.72 seconds
First use of rdiff (2005-02-14): 5 minutes 4 seconds

I don't know what the problem was, however, since then, I've 1.7Ghz instead of 300Mhz, 512MB RAM instead of 200 and sarge instead of woody now.

I want to give rdiff-backup another try because I like the concept and I do hope that it will work faster now. It would be great if backup could be finished in max. 10 minutes as with rsync.

rdiff-backup only backups files where modification times changes, doesn't it? (I hope that it doesn't compare each file)

I have a few very large apache log files (500MB) where data is only appended and old snapshots aren't needed (apache logs). Is it possible to exclude some files/folders from diff but back them up also?
I've nothing found in man-page.

Are there any other tweaks to speed up rdiff-backup?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Niki

--
up 3 days and 18:57:30 on linux-2.4.32-grsec
http://www.nobaq.net