Re: [rdiff-backup-users] --just-fix-my-broken-backup ?

From: dean gaudet
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] --just-fix-my-broken-backup ?
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 18:57:18 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 24 May 2006, Adam Lazur wrote:

> ValueError: invalid literal for long(): 22714811 ModTime 11037487348i55id 1003

that looks fairly well corrupted...

> Is it time to perform surgery on the metadata file? I'm cool with
> blowing away portions of the tree to save my backup... but I'd rather
> not pull the whole tree over my home dsl if I could avoid it.

at worst you'll only have to "rm -rf target/rdiff-backup-data" and then
use "rdiff-backup --force" to create a fresh target/rdiff-backup-data (i
try to be careful to not leave "--force" in my scripts though).  so you'll
lose the history but you essentially never should have to haul over the
bulk of the tree... rdiff-backup --force starts again from what you've
got.

at best you can uncompress a metadata .gz file and edit it and fix the
problem (and re-gzip)... more likely there's some middle ground where you
might need to manually delete a file or directory or two from beneath
target/rdiff-backup-data/ ... in practice that requires you to understand
what rdiff-backup wants...

i tend to only try the two extremes of that -- if i can fix the metadata
file then i run with it, otherwise i blow away the history.

-dean