Re: [rdiff-backup-users] backup error due to different versions of rdiff

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] backup error due to different versions of rdiff-backup
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 21:02:45 -0600

> Dr. Scott S. Jones wrote:
> > In general, an attempt is made to guarantee compatibility only between
> > different minor versions of the same stable series.
>
> Bye the way: What about upgrades on the server-side? E.g. I am running
> currently 1.0.0, but there are newer versions (1.0.4, 1.1.5) - can one
> expect that one can re-use the existing backups? Or should one 'backup
> the backups' and start with an empty directory for new backups?

Old repositories are always forwards compatible---you (should) never
need to erase your backup directory because you want to use a new
version.

> And I have some additional feature-requests:
>
> (1) As far as I saw, there is no 'ls'-Feature, e.g.
> rdiff-backup --ls-at-time 2006-01-19 /backups/daute
> should output something like "ls -la /backups/daute" at a previous time.

Yes, good point.  I wonder if I add this though, then someone will
want various sorting options, someone will think -la displays too much
information, etc.  Personally I'm happy with -la output.  Can anyone
think of a better display/format, or of a more flexible way to do
this?

> (2) rdiff-Backup should be able to parse the date-formats from the own
> output. E.g. rdiff-backup --list-increment-sizes outputs something like
> "Sun Jan 22 00:05:04 2006     4.08 GB     4.08 GB   (current mirror)", then
> rdiff-backup --list-at-time "Sun Jan 22 00:05:04 2006" /path/to/backup
> should work...

Ok, patch at

http://cvs.savannah.nongnu.org/viewcvs/rdiff-backup/rdiff_backup/Time.py?root=rdiff-backup&r1=1.12&r2=1.13&makepatch=1&diff_format=u