Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup/rsync +ssh performance comparison

From: dean gaudet
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup/rsync +ssh performance comparison
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 21:11:13 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 6 Feb 2006, Vadim Kouzmine wrote:

> Let me summarize the information I've gathered during my tests, on two
> platforms (Gentoo, Trustix 2.2) and different versions of python (2.2.3,
> 2.3.5, 2.4.2):
>
> - on 3GHz P4 Xeon I get ~2MB/s steady transfer through ssh, on P4 3GHz
> it's ~1.9MB/s;
> - I made tests ssh-ing to LOCALHOST, so no network is involved here.

actually we can get rid of ssh entirely as well and just use pipes
between the rdiff-backup and "rdiff-backup --server"... to reduce the
variables even further.

when i compare:

        rdiff-backup src dst1

with:

        rdiff-backup --remote-schema '%s' src 'rdiff-backup --server'::dst2

i'm seeing an avg of 0.9s real-time for the first and 1.4s real-time
for the second using an extracted copy of rdiff-backup-1.0.4.tar.gz as
the src.  (the results are quite repeatable so i didn't bother with a
larger src.)

my suspicion would be something serializing in the protocol...

-dean