[rdiff-backup-users] Permissions and gid wrong on local copying on Mac O

From: Attila Szegedi
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Permissions and gid wrong on local copying on Mac OS X
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 00:11:24 +0100

Hi,

I have a problem that's manifesting itself with both rdiff-backup 1.0.3 and 1.1.5 on Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.3. I also have xattrs installed from <http://pythonmac.org/packages/xattr-0.2-py2.4-macosx10.4.zip>, if that information helps. Now, the problem is as follows: I have an external FireWire HDD mounted as /Volumes/Backup, and am backing up from and to identical filesystems (HFS+, case insensitive, journaled)

# sudo rdiff-backup /Applications /Volumes/Backup/Applications

will produce

drwx------   2 root  aszegedi  68 Jan  3 23:41 Applications

whereas the original was

drwxrwxr-x   64 root      admin     2176 Mar 31  2005 Applications

(don't bother with file sizes - I stopped it before it finished)

So, the group and the mode of the created directory is plain bad. Also, all content inside directory is also drwx------ and with same owner/group. What's even more interesting is that if I copy a directory named "test" from my home directory:

# sudo rdiff-backup ~/test /Volumes/Backup/test

it will perfectly move the uid/gid and access mode. *Even* if I try to make it as similar to Applications as possible (that is, I do chown root and chgrp admin and chmod 775 on it first). *Even* if I move it to / first and then do

# sudo rm -r /Volumes/Backup/test
# sudo rdiff-backup /test /Volumes/Backup/test

Even tried renaming test to Test, and then doing the rdiff-backup, and it still works okay. However, for /Applications (or /Developer, etc.) it consistently produces incorrect information. As a last resort, I tried a completely local copy within the local drive, thinking that maybe something's wrong with permissions on the FireWire drive:

# sudo rdiff-backup /Applications ~/Applications

And still the same story - the copy in my home directory also has the bad permissions and gid. I'm rather keen on having correct permissions as I want to have an "uber-backup" that's both incremental, mirror, and - bootable. For bootability, I really need to have permissions and gid information transferred correctly. Any help appreciated - if you need me to inject debugging statements into the rdiff-backup's python source, just say what and where.

Thanks in advance,
  Attila.

--
home: http://www.szegedi.org