[rdiff-backup-users] Empty directory trees not being backed up

From: Toni Price
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Empty directory trees not being backed up
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 09:02:02 +0000

I have been a very happy user of rdiff-backup for about a year now. Recently though I noticed that certain directories are not in my backup. I did a 'diff -rq' on some of the source/backup directories and (although I haven't checked extensively) all the missing ones seem to be empty directory trees.

I am currently running rdiff-backup 1.0.1-r1 on a Gentoo Linux box (2.6.12-gentoo-r10 on AMD64).

The source data itself was restored after a disk crash, some time towards the end of August, so I can only assume this problem emerged some time after that (since I know that some of the empty directory trees are more than a year old and otherwise I don't see how they would have been restored in the first place).

I tried running a small backup of just a single directory (one that contained some of the missing directories) and the odd thing is that worked as expected, i.e. it backed up everything including the empty sub-directory trees. Could this have something to do with volumes of data?

Looking at my Gentoo package installation log I see the history is as follows:
rdiff-backup-0.13.6 -> installed 8 September 2005
rdiff-backup-1.0.1-r1 -> installed 22 September 2005

So I'm guessing this is a problem that came with upgrading to 1.0.1. Perhaps it would be better for me to back out to 0.13.6? (Unfortunately the most recent versions are not yet available on 64-bit Gentoo.) I tried searching Google & the rdiff-backup-user archives but didn't come up with anything. If it would help, I can post my rdiff-backup command or any other relevant information.

Thanks
Toni