Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Question about reorganizing directory structure

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Question about reorganizing directory structure
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 19:33:38 -0600

> Thanks very much for your response.  I think you misunderstood the
> question (or I misunderstood the answer).
>
> The backup repository is not moving.  The files that are being
> backed up are being moved.
>
> Does this make sense?  Does this change the answer?

Yes, I thought the repository was moving.  If you just copy the files
normally, all the mtimes and such will be off, so rdiff-backup will
think all of your files have changed the next session.  The first new
backup will take a long time, but the total size of the increments
should not be very large.

If you copy everything over exactly rdiff-backup may think nothing has
changed so there will be no problems.  However, copying at least
changes the device/inode numbers, so any hardlinked files will be
marked as changed.