Re: [rdiff-backup-users] The rdiff-backup poll!

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] The rdiff-backup poll!
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 20:53:55 -0600

> I normally back up to an unprivileged account on the remote server, and
> I'd like a way to suppress these warning messages:
>
> Warning: ownership cannot be changed on filesystem at
>       /mnt/backup/.../rdiff-backup-data
> Unable to import module xattr.
> Extended attributes not supported on filesystem at
>       /mnt/backup/.../rdiff-backup-data/rdiff-backup.tmp.0
> Unable to import module posix1e from pylibacl package.
> ACLs not supported on filesystem at
>       /mnt/backup/.../rdiff-backup-data/rdiff-backup.tmp.0

If you run at default verbosity I don't think any of these should show
up.  Also I can't find this "ownership cannot be changed" warning
anywhere.  What version are you using?

> Like others on the list, I would like a way to remove old versions of
> certain (large) files from the increments, and to remove (merge)
> older increments.

Yep, editing seems to be the most popular option.  In a few days I'll
start a thread to figure out exactly what that means.

> By the way, in case you didn't know, Sourceforget uses rdiff-backup for
> their backup strategy. Well done!

Cool, thanks for the heads-up.