[rdiff-backup-users] Full backups from / downwards

From: Marcus Williams
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Full backups from / downwards
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 11:37:53 +0000

Hi -

I want to back my entire server up to a remote site. On the remote site I dont want to use a user with any special privileges. Whilst I obviously need to have enough privs on the machine to be backed up to be able to read all files, do the user privs on the remote machine actually matter? I suppose what I'm asking is are the ownership/perms details stored as metadata with the actual backups being stored (and owned by) the backup user, or are these details reflected in the backup files themselves (using standard ownership/perms).

Thanks

Marcus

--
Marcus Williams -- http://www.cad-schroer.co.uk
CAD Schroer UK, 39 Newnham Road, Cambridge, UK