Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Feature requests questions/discussion

From: Wiebe Cazemier
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Feature requests questions/discussion
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 13:44:04 +0200

Ben Escoto wrote:
Another problem is that we would have to rewrite the mirror_metadata
file each time.  If there was a bug in rdiff-backup or a disk
corruption, and the main file was lost, we would lose all the metadata
information.  I don't have any specific worry in mind here, it just
makes me uneasy.

This is a genuine concern. Remember I corrupted my external HD severly with USB errors? That sort of thing can happen.

Just two days ago, I had a similair situation. My computer suddenly became very unstable, probably because I did rrmod -f on a module which I couldn't get un-used. At first I suspected my HD, so I made a backup as soon as I could. It crashed as well. Later, when I diagnosed my disc and restarted my system, I ran a new backup. I was very glad the failed one got rolled back.

I know you can save a temporary mirror_metadata as a working version, but if rdiff-backup had crashed writing the temp version over the orignal one, you are bust. Or, power can fail suddenly. Anything can happen...

Anyway, it's good to guard against the unexpected and unprobable.