Re: [rdiff-backup-users] What filename characters does Mac OS X support?

From: Alastair Rankine
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] What filename characters does Mac OS X support?
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 19:49:34 +1000

On 25/10/2005, at 2:29 PM, Ben Escoto wrote:

So I was hoping to deal with filenames just as byte arrays, and not
worry what they represent and if they are unicode or whatever.

UTF-8 lets you do that - as long as you don't make the assumption that one byte == one character. ASCII characters take one byte, but when you get into the more esoteric parts of the unicode character set, it can take up to six (I think, at least four) bytes to represent a single character.