Re: [rdiff-backup-users] What filename characters does Mac OS X support?

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] What filename characters does Mac OS X support?
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 21:35:26 -0500

> Technote 1150 describes the HFS Plus volume format in great detail:
> http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1150.html
>
> In particular, there's a table with a list of illegal characters
> here: http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1150table.html

Thanks for the references.  Unfortunately they're in unicode and I
don't know enough to translate them to ascii offhand.  Kevin Horton's
message suggests that all the standard unix characters should be fine
though.

If anyone wants to be more precise about this, by looking at
Alastair's table and translating it into normal unix calls (which deal
with C char *'s), let me know what you come up with.

> Maybe it's because I'm new to rdiff-backup, but I can't understand
> why you need to determine the capabilities of the source file
> system?

Under the old system we didn't check the source, just the destination
(as in your scheme).  This worked ok, but led to unnecessary quoting.
For instance in a Mac OS X -> Mac OS X backup, rdiff-backup would
quote all uppercase characters.

If we determine the capabilities of the source too, then we can quote
only what needs to be.