Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Python traceback help

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Python traceback help
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 23:35:23 -0500

> Whilst I am vaguely clued up, I'm not a python person, so I find it
> pretty tricky debugging errors from a python script.  I'm attempting to
> backup an entire machine using rdiff-backup (excluding /dev, /proc, /sys,
> etc).  I'm using Debian's rdiff-backup package v0.13.4-5 and Debian's
> python package v2.3.5-2
>
> Would anoyone be able to shed some light on this please, or at least
> point me in the direction of fixing/avoiding it?
> I get a few copies of the UpdateError, but I guess that's normal(?)

UpdateErrors are normal on files that are altered while rdiff-backup
is processing them.

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/rdiff_backup/rpath.py", line 799, in
> hardlink
>     self.conn.os.link(linkpath, self.path)
> OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

I'm not sure what is causing this crash.  rdiff-backup seems to have
trouble replicating a hard link on the destination side.  If you feel
like looking more into this, try running at -v5 or -v7 to find the
file it is crashing on.

If it does crash consistently on the same file, do an ls -l of that
file, and post if there's something unusual about it.  If it's
hardlinked to other file(s), ls -l those files, and say if
rdiff-backup complained about those in any way.