Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: newbie can't get rdiff-backup to run correc

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: newbie can't get rdiff-backup to run correctly
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 21:46:59 -0500

> That may be, this is the only mailing list I'm active on which does
> that. When you ask a question in a public place, it would make sense
> to put the answer there too, for others to see, right? If no-one
> would send replies back to the list, you'd get a list full of
> questions, but no answers. That shouldn't be the case... IMO, the
> default reply address should be that of the list.

As far as I know there is no consensus here, and different lists have
different default settings.  I'm definitely on some lists which don't
add a Reply-To, and maybe the majority are like that.  It might be
annoying if this list acts differently than the others you are on, but
it does make some sense to me:

1)  If you do want to send a private message, it's easier since you
    can just Reply.  (If you want to send to the list you can reply to
    all, which is also easy.)

2)  When you reply-to all, the specific people in the thread get
    mentioned in the To: or Cc: field.  The way my email works, a
    message can get stored in multiple folders at the same time.  If
    I'm in the To: or Cc: field a message gets more attention that if
    it's just in a mailing list folder.

    Of course in the rdiff-backup list I read all the messages anyway,
    but for some lists I may want to only read certain messages, or
    may wait a month before trying to catch up.

    Hmm some people may have the ability to subscribe to certain
    threads, which probably works similarly, but I don't have this
    functionality.

3)  Auto-responders (like vacation bots) don't spam the lists as much
    as they otherwise would.