Re: [rdiff-backup-users] cygwin fsyncing again

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] cygwin fsyncing again
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 21:35:36 -0500

> Hi,
> I am trying to get rdiff-backup 1.0.1 going on cygwin. I will have a
> windows package built shortly, but I would love it if windows-> windows
> backups worked.
> the initial backup works ok, but after the session stats are printed at
> the end I get an error similar to the one below. Thats fine, but
> subsequent backups crash with the error below before copying any files.
> I think os.fsync is not available on cygwin python2.4 and is erroneously
> turned on...
>
> Let me know if there any other information you need to help me out - is
> there some way I can turn off fsyncing on cygwin?

rdiff-backup needs some way to order writes.  For instance, when
updating it sometimes needs to make sure a file is fully written
before it is moved.  Many optimized file systems will mess with the
order of these operations for better performance (at least this is
what the ext2/3 people told me).

So without fsync, how can rdiff-backup be guaranteed everything is
written in the right order?

It would be easy to add a check and then just disable fsyncing if it's
not available, but I don't think this would be entirely safe.