Re: [rdiff-backup-users] How to speed up rdiff-backup

From: Steve Clement
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] How to speed up rdiff-backup
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 15:45:05 +0200

Carsten Lorenz wrote:

>rdiff-backup needs 132s to transfer a 140MB file (1.1MB/s).
>While rdiff-backup works on the next file scp transfers the same file in 15s
>(9.3MB/s)!

What does that mean? scp = 9.3MB/s rdiff-backup = 1.1MB/s

>Since we want to backup one tera-byte of data this would last more than a week.

That be bad :)

>Has anyone hints how to speedup rdiff-backup?

Well if you want to speed up rdiff-backup using ssh/scp as transport you
might need to look into:

high performance ssh

or if you are copying from a Local "secure" network just use ftp or hell
why not NFS.

http://www.gentoo-portage.com/net-misc/openssh/USE

Gentoo ass a high perf. flag for ssh.

http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/hpn-ssh/