Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup problems (FC4 -> VFAT)

From: Bob McKay
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup problems (FC4 -> VFAT)
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 23:00:16 +0900

On 06/10/2005, at 19:28, Wiebe Cazemier wrote:

> Annoying mailinglist... It should set a reply-address so that replies go to
> the
> list. This one is.

Thank you, I'm sorry I missed that on the previous reply.

>> I'm not sure why rdiff-backup thinks it is unable to handle access
control lists,
>> since posix1e.so seems to be in the right place?

>You are sure you have ACL's? If so, perhaps it has something to do
with it being
>a LVM. I don't have much experience with ACL's, so I can't help there.

>I am kind of confused about the errors you're getting BTW. It's not very clear
>which error, if any, is the fatal error. They're most warnings and
ingored errors.

>When you backup to a non-FAT32 filesystem, what happens then?

I'm not certain; I don't have a non-FAT32 filesystem to backup to (I
guess I could use spare space in the same volume, if rdiff-backup
isn't going to be confused by that - in fact, the main disk needs to
be repartitioned, which would solve that problem, but I'm not game to
do that until I have it properly backed up - catch 22.

> Restoring an application by copying the files from /bin etc is not a good
> idea.
> You need to install software through the package manager, or you won't be able
> to keep track of what is installed. When just copying files, you end up with a
> system you have to reïnstall eventually.

> Backing up to another HD poses the same kinds of problem mentioned earlier.
> When
> using "cp", make sure you use "-a" to keep all the properties intact. And,
> when
> restoring, don't restore parts of the backup into an existing system, for the
> same maintainability issue as mentioned above.

> If you do want to make system backups to removable media in the future, I
> recommend Dar (http://dar.linux.free.fr/). It provides everthing you can think
> of when doing backups.

> Also, you might want to put RAID1 in your computer. Not really hard to do,
> with
> Linux software RAID. Software RAID is better than those RAID controllers on
> mainboards BTW. So, unless you have a real hardware RAID card, use software.

Thanks for all the excellent advice - far more than the question I was
originally asking, and all valuable
    Best Wishes
    Bob McKay