[rdiff-backup-users] Re: new windows version

From: Chinook
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: new windows version
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 11:19:12 -0400

David Kempe wrote:

Chinook wrote:

I've since got waylaid on an ObjC task, but at the time I noted that I have Apple's version of "xattr" as well as Apple's Carbon ACL modules. In the ACL modules it specifically notes that some are non-portable. Do you have any intention/leaning towards testing for the OS and using the appropriate imports and methods applicable?

The cygwin NTFS to ACL mapping seems to be a bit broken as of last checking. Quite frankly, I don't really have any need for ACLs at this stage. The majority of restores are single files or directorys with classic style simple permissions. I don't know anyone who uses ACLs alot on their data shares, and indeed the only people I do know who use them, end up tying themselves in knots with them.

Also (and you don't have to answer as I'll get back to RTFM and studying the source) I noticed a post today about bootability. I was thinking (hoping :-) of creating a volume clone with "asr" and using rdiff-backup against such. This in lieu of rsync and fancy incrementals/snapshotting. Am I in outer space again?

No I think that might work. From a windows perspective, it looks like ASR images are like ghost images. Large binary files really. Rdiff-backup works against those files, however don't expect great increments sizes - sometimes with these binary formats the diffs can be massive. The exchange bkf file from a windows server is one example - 4GB binary file, add one email and backup again and you get %50 diff. crazy.

dave