Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Interaction between --exclude and --restrict-up

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Interaction between --exclude and --restrict-update-only
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 22:28:47 -0500

> If I understand correctly, specifying some kind of --exclude on the
> client side will make the server side remove all traces of the
> excluded path/files. I.e., the result will be like if the excluded
> path/file never existed, and it will not be possible to restore
> anything from below that path. Am I right?

The result is only as if the file does not currently exist in the
source directory.  Older records of the file will not be expunged from
the includes directory.

The downside to this is that there is no automatic way of eliminating
something entirely from the repository---you have to let it expire
with --excludes and --remove-older-than.

> How does this interact with --restrict-update-only? If I have a
> server, which I access using ssh, that has --restrict-update-only on
> its commandline (as specified in command= in public key), how does a
> --exclude work?

If you have --restrict-update-only, someone can still run rdiff-backup
with --exclude '**'.  This will delete the mirror tree but everything
should be recoverable from the increments.