Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup does not accept destination direct

From: Moritz Naumann
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup does not accept destination directory
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 22:48:25 +0200

dean gaudet schrieb:
> On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, Moritz Naumann wrote:
>
>>Warning: su: Permission denied
>
> not sure where that's coming from, rdiff-backup won't invoke su on its
> own.

This seems to be a problem related to backupninja only.

>>I also tried removing /home/backupschizo/schizo/ and then retrying
>>rdiff-backup with the usage given by backupninja. However, this gave
>>exactly the same errors.
>
> the destination doesn't exist and you asked it to "--remove-older-than
> 60D" ... i suppose we could let that slip by when the destination doesn't
> exist, but for now it errors out... so "don't do that" :)  create a backup
> first.

The *fatal* error was indeed gone when I ran rdiff-backup directly, and
a backup was really created (at last!).

I'm still stuck with two warnigs now, but these are not related to
rdiff-backup.

Thanks for your help (this goes to Ben, too).

>>I'm also wondering how or whether it is possible to use rdiff-backup on
>>a different port than 22?
>
> yeah, use --remote-schema, or use a .ssh/config entry which looks
> something like:
>
>       host foohost-otherport
>               port NNNN
>               hostname foohost
>
> then backup using foohost-otherport::/baz/bat

wow, this is tricky, but I'm glad it's possible. Thanks for the heads up.

On a side note, which is slightly OT: When I sent my first email to this
mailing list, I addressed it to
   rdiff-backup-users at lists d0t nongnu d0t org
instead of
   rdiff-backup-users at nongnu d0t org
Instead of having my email delivered or returning it to me, the mail
server is bumping my email around on its hard disk since then, still
trying to deliver it.

Moritz