Re: [rdiff-backup-users] SECURITY: Not all file ops accessed via vetted

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] SECURITY: Not all file ops accessed via vetted RPath objects? Also a path prefixing patch
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 01:33:26 -0500

> If they aren't in the list of allowable commands, why am I seeing the
> client sending such requests and the server processing them? I don't
> thoroughly understand at what times and under what circumstances
> security levels are active, but (without better understanding what's
> going on) the behaviour in question seems a touch suspect.

Well unless you use an option like --restrict*, security is pretty
limited:  it just tries to prevent a situation where you run
"rdiff-backup source host::dest" and the remote rdiff-backup on host
is actually hacked and tries to read/delete inappropriate files on the
local side.  On the destination side everything is fair game.

Anyway, how are you running rdiff-backup?  I'll check out the
mkdir()'s and similar you are finding.

> - I don't trust the servers to accurately identify themselves (ie. to
> choose locations under the backup account on which to store data). These
> servers are in the posession of various clients, and store data
> proprietary to said clients. If a client could subvert the backup system
> to download another client's data (as is possible when all servers share
> a single backup account without per-system pathname limitations), it
> would be a Very Bad Thing. Because of the number of servers in question,
> creating multiple backup accounts (to isolate the servers from each
> other) is likewise unworkable.

What's the problem with having thousands of users?  It seems that
would be the safest way.  Otherwise, why not write a script that
checks the arguments to rdiff-backup, instead of patching
rdiff-backup?