Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Moving from rsync

From: dean gaudet
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Moving from rsync
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 21:24:21 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005, john stultz wrote:

> Something that I think would be helpful in the FAQ would be howto for moving
> from using rsync to rdiff-backup, pointing out some of the subtle differences
> between the arguments.
>
> Currently I mirror nightly two partitions to a firewire disk using:
> rsync -ax --delete / /mnt/backup_root
> rsync -ax --delete /home/ /mnt/backup_home/
>
> With rdiff-backup I'm guessing the proper arguments would be:
>
> One time conversion to rdiff-backup:
> rdiff-backup -f --exclude-other-filesystems / /mnt/backup_root
> rdiff-backup -f --exclude-other-filesystems /home /mnt/backup_home
>
> Then a nightly:
> rdiff-backup --exclude-other-filesystems / /mnt/backup_root
> rdiff-backup --exclude-other-filesystems /home /mnt/backup_home
>
> rdiff-backup --remove-older-than 2W /mnt/backup_root
> rdiff-backup --remove-older-than 2W /mnt/backup_home
>
> I believe this will give me the same mirror as rsync does currently, along
> with rdiff-backup-data dir in each partition. Correct?

yeah this is generally how i've populated some of my larger rdiff-backup
destinations (rsync seems to be faster than rdiff-backup when starting
with an empty destination ... not sure why yet, i haven't looked...)

> Are there any side
> effects I should expect? (anything else like:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/rdiff-backup-users/2004-08/msg00019.html  ?)

there probably differences in the interpretation of --include/exclude
sorts of things... i've never actually forced myself to learn either
rsync's or rdiff-backup's methods in detail so i can't really give
examples.

-dean