Re: [rdiff-backup-users] nagios plugin WAS rdiff-backup fails

From: Hunter Matthews
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] nagios plugin WAS rdiff-backup fails
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 12:33:42 -0400

On Mon, 2005-08-08 at 08:43, David Kempe wrote:
> Hi,
> On this topic, I have been trying to write a nagios plugin to check the
> state of rdiff-backup repos.
> Here is the data I have been able to glean off from analysis of backups:

I have a 'plugin' that is both simple and mind erasing stupid.

The wrapper that runs rdiff-backup for each host/filesystem combo looks
at the result code (error code/return code) from rdiff-backup. If its 0,
it touches /var/lib/status/$HOST-$FILESYSTEM.touch

There is a nagios plugin check_file_age that I use to see if the touch
file is more than N hours/ days old, depending on the client in
question.

The system isn't perfect (you get a log of false alarms for laptops that
are away for a while) and does do anything to see WHY the backups aren't
running.

But it does let me see at a quick glance what is and isn't being backed
up.