Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup fails

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup fails
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2005 23:27:57 -0700

> In the first log it does mention insufficient disk space, and I've
> read some posts about this in the archives. I think the system is
> running out of temp space, so just to clarify, does rdiff-backup
> require temp space on the source, destination, or both? (And how
> much?)

There was a bug/misfeature in that rdiff-backup when restoring used
temp space in an unexpected place.  For backups rdiff-backup needs
space in the destination (it doesn't write to the source).

As a rule of thumb it needs enough slack space (i.e. space in addition
to the space it needs to write all the files storing your data) to
hold another copy of the largest file being backed up.  In some cases
it could need about twice this much.

So for instance if the largest file you are backing up is 5GB then you
will need at least 5GB free.  In an exceptional case (where the entire
5GB file changes all at once into a completely different 5GB file) you
will need 10GB free I believe.

> And I'm wondering what happens if one rdiff-backup starts running
> before the previous finishes. Would this cause a problem?

Shouldn't be an issue since you are writing to separate destination
directories.