Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Rdiff-backup syntax question

From: Jim Tittsler
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Rdiff-backup syntax question
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 13:24:25 +0900

On Jul 26, 2005, at 06:09, Brent Webster wrote:

Reading a bourne shell backup script

    rdiff-backup -r -1M /mnt/brandywineriver/backup
    rdiff-backup / /mnt/brandywineriver/backup

I realize the 2nd line take the entire root directory tree and copies
it into the backup directory. It's the first line doing a restore one month
in the future that has me confused.  Is this a typeo?

I don't know where you found the script, but I would *guess* that it intended to do --remove-older-than rather than (-r AKA --restore-as- of). The remove would make sense to prune old revisions to keep the backup from growing without bound.

--
Jim Tittsler             http://www.OnJapan.net/      GPG: 0x01159DB6
Python Starship          http://Starship.Python.net/