Re: [rdiff-backup-users] restore old backups fails with gzip error -

From: dean gaudet
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] restore old backups fails with gzip error -
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 17:03:02 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005, Hunter Matthews wrote:

> I've debugged this. If its not a rdiff-backup bug (i'm biased at the
> moment) its at least a serious misfeature..

one thing rdiff-backup could do better... give an ENOSPC when the gzip'd
files are involved as well.  annoying it's disguised like this, i wonder
where it's disappearing.

> IOError: [Errno 28] No space left on device
> Ah /tmp/@blahblah.

you know i'm not sure where a /tmp file would come from -- rdiff-backup
(at least 0.13.7-cvs) creates temporary files in the same directory as
whatever final file it wants to create.  otherwise it would have to deal
with movements across filesystems, which would be slow...

what was the full /tmp/blahblah path?  was the filename
rdiff-backup.tmp.*?

> a) to use 'tmp' files in the restoration target, with the assumption
> that the user requesting restore knew what he/she/it was doing to have
> enough space there, but perhaps not on /tmp.

yeah my naive reading of the code indicates it already does this...  but
maybe tmp files are appearing through some imported code...

i bet fun things will happen if i make a small loopback mounted fs and do
all sorts of backups and restores in it, banging against the ENOSPC error
as frequently as possible.

-dean