[rdiff-backup-users] Encrypting files before transmitting?

From: Dan Parrish
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Encrypting files before transmitting?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 20:28:10 -0700

I've been in discussions with other people around my state about sharing a few gigs of space with each other in a network of backup storage hosts.

We've just about gotten everything figured out except the prickly issue of the files getting stored in the clear on the remote storage host.

After a bit of investigation, we've determined that there's really no good way to ensure that address@hidden cannot see the contents of files on his own filesystem. This is a deal-breaker for several people.

What we've determined is that the files need to be encrypted locally before transmitting to the remote host. IOW, the remote host would just continue doing what it's doing without caring whether the files are encrypted or not. We want to get rdiff-backup (or something else) to encrypt the files before transmission, and yet still have the capability to perform all the current duties it does.

Are there any plans to implement this in rdiff-backup in the future? If not, are there any other methods of having this secure remote storage/backup solution?

-Dan