[rdiff-backup-users] Re: Re: Remote backup server without root and rdiff

From: Troels Arvin
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Re: Remote backup server without root and rdiff-backup?
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 12:18:02 +0200

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 10:07:04 +0200, Jens Benecke wrote:

> Really? It doesn't require Python and rdiff-backup on the target side?

Yes, a reasonably up-to-date python-installation, librsync, and
rdiff-backup are required on the target side.

> I could theoretically install a statically compiled python2.2 binary and
> rdiff-backup on the backup server but I think that's too much of a hassle
> and would only provoke more problems.

I once installed python, librsync and rdiff-backup on an old target host.
If takes some time, and some of your disk-quota, but it can be done.

> But shfs is buggy anyway, it seems (see other post).

Too bad. Have you tried applying the patches for shfs available at
http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~qiq/src/shfs/shfs-0.35/ ?
Otherwise: By scanning shfs' mailing lists, tt seems that bugs in shfs are
fixed rather quickly. So you might try reporting the problem you hit.

--
Greetings from Troels Arvin, Copenhagen, Denmark