Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Serious data loss using rdiff-backup

From: Alistair Popple
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Serious data loss using rdiff-backup
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 21:10:17 +1000

I think I have located the reason files in /usr were being deleted.
Within the backup directory there is a symlink to /usr (called
./export/journyx/journyx/pd/Linux/pgres), which must somehow be
related to the deleting as the problem first occured after I added
this link on the main server.  I found this out by running the
destination-check on the rebuilt system, which for obvious reasons was
setup so that /usr and / were mounted read-only.  The destination
check then failed with the following error:

OSError: [Errno 30] Read-only file system:
'./export/journyx/journyx/pd/Linux/pgres/bin/.keep'

However the destination directory was mounted read-write and the file
mentioned does not exist on the server being backed up.  Also the
destination-check succeded once this link was removed from the backup
set (both the destination directory and the rdiff-backup-data
directory)