[rdiff-backup-users] Assertion error on restore

From: Jeffrey Barish
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Assertion error on restore
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 19:25:37 -0600

I have been giving rdiff-backup a try this week.  Backups seem to be working
fine, so today I decided to try a restore.  My plan was to restore a file
in my home directory called dateout.  Following directions in the man page,
I used the command

rdiff-backup -r 2D /home/jeffbarish/dateout /home/jeffbarish/dateout.old

I got the following traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/rdiff-backup", line 23, in ?
    rdiff_backup.Main.Main(sys.argv[1:])
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 259, in
Main
    take_action(rps)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 239, in
take_action
    elif action == "restore-as-of": Restore(rps[0], rps[1], 1)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 451, in
Restore
    if not restore_root_set: assert restore_set_root(src_rp)
AssertionError

I also tried restoring the entire home directory (/home/jeffbarish) rather
than the single file.  Same message.  I am able to restore the directory
using the second procedure described on the man page (finding the actual
diff file and specifying it on the command line), but that method is a
hassle and appears to work only with directories (which may be true of the
first procedure as well).  I am on Linux and using version 0.13.4 of
rdiff-backup.  Am I doing something wrong?
--
Jeffrey Barish