Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup and cross-platform resource forks

From: Dan Drake
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup and cross-platform resource forks
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 13:19:11 -0500

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 at 09:12PM +0100, Keith Edmunds wrote:
> > I have a question about backing up my Powerbook to my Linux box. Do the
> > resource forks get backed up, and can they be restored?
>
> Two answers: you could just try it and find out. If you did that, then
> you would KNOW the answer,

Are you a teacher or professor? I'm a math TA, and I enjoy saying things
like that to my students. It annoys them terribly. :)

I took your advice and checked, by moving a file with a resource fork
somewhere else and restoring it from my backup. Yes, rdiff-backup does
preserve resource forks even if you store the backups on a Linux system
(or, presumably, on any non-HFS+ filesystem).

(If there's any other Linux-y types out there who would like to take
Keith's advice and try on their own: the easy way to make a file with a
resource fork is to make an alias in the Finder, which to 'ls' is a
zero-byte file and the alias information in the resource fork. Make the
alias, back it up, delete it, and then try restoring it. There's a nice
blog entry at http://sean.typepad.com/ditto/2004/07/mac_os_x_resour.html
that I found useful.)

Thanks,

Dan