Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Automatic setting of "chars_to_quote"

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Automatic setting of "chars_to_quote"
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 15:49:46 -0700

> The rdiff-backup code properly recognizes the destination backup
> drive as "case-insensitive" (i.e. HFS), and the source drive as
> "case-insensitive" (i.e. also HFS) and thus enables character
> quoting for capitalized letters (A-Z). However, for me, this is
> annoying. Since both my source and destination drives are HFS
> (case-insensitive) (actually all my possible backup drives are HFS),
> I would prefer that it does NOT enable the quoting since I would
> never have an issue with case-sensitivity in the backups since the
> source data could never have a clash in case anyway.
>
> So, my questions are: Is there a way to disable this at runtime for
> my own backups? Or better yet, can the code be changed to NOT
> automatically quote characters when both the source and destination
> drives are case-insensitive? Seems like a safe behavior if the
> source and destinations are the same.

Try using --override-chars-to-quote '' (i.e. pass this option an empty
string).  This is an undocumented option and definitely hasn't been
tested for what you want to do.

About what you suggest, I see at least two potential problems:

1) Later on, someone tries to back up a different, case-sensitive,
   file system to the same repository.  This is a problem because the
   quoting is a property of the entire repository, not an individual
   session.

2) Although the root source directory is case-insensitive, other
   filesystems are mounted inside and are case-sensitive.

That being said, I can see why filename quoting would be a pain when
just doing HPS -> HPS.  It would be useful to hear from various Mac
folk on what the default should be.