[rdiff-backup-users] Automatic setting of "chars_to_quote"

From: Robert Shaw
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Automatic setting of "chars_to_quote"
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 14:00:55 -0700

Hi All,

I'm using the latest build (from CVS) of rdiff-backup on a Mac OS X system. It seems to be working well (handles the resource forks and the like). However, I noticed a slightly annoying behavior that I'd like to be able to control, or get changed.

The rdiff-backup code properly recognizes the destination backup drive as "case-insensitive" (i.e. HFS), and the source drive as "case-insensitive" (i.e. also HFS) and thus enables character quoting for capitalized letters (A-Z). However, for me, this is annoying. Since both my source and destination drives are HFS (case-insensitive) (actually all my possible backup drives are HFS), I would prefer that it does NOT enable the quoting since I would never have an issue with case-sensitivity in the backups since the source data could never have a clash in case anyway.

So, my questions are: Is there a way to disable this at runtime for my own backups? Or better yet, can the code be changed to NOT automatically quote characters when both the source and destination drives are case-insensitive? Seems like a safe behavior if the source and destinations are the same.

Excellent program BTW!!

Thanks!
-Robert