Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup crash

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup crash
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 23:42:22 -0700

>>> I've been running rdiff-backup (ver. 13.4) reliably for quite some
>>> time but now consistently get the following crash when trying to
>>> backup up a particular machine (see below). Has anyone any ideas?
>>>  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/rdiff_backup/log.py", line 134,
>>> in log_to_term
>>>   termfp.write(self.format(message, self.term_verbosity))
>>> IOError: [Errno 11] Resource temporarily unavailable

> I managed to fix the problem by lowering the terminal-verbosity setting
> to 4 from 5. It would appear that there was some contention for stdout,
> though I'm not sure how that could happen. The problem can likely be
> fixed with an exception handler around the code that writes to stdout
> and then deals with this event in an intelligent way.

You're right---it seems stdout is temporarily unavailable.  Does
anyone know how this can happen?  The whole server is built around
writing to stdout, so checking for this error could add a lot of
overhead.

Perhaps some un*x gurus can tell me 1) when this error occurs and 2)
is it really necessary to check for EAGAIN every time data is written
to a file descriptor?  The examples I see in, say, books covering C on
unix generally don't check.