[rdiff-backup-users] SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ME!! WHAT SHOULD I DO!?!

From: Robert Yoon
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ME!! WHAT SHOULD I DO!?!
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 17:14:11 -0700 (PDT)

I have a dilemma and im not sure what the best thing
to do is.   I am currently attempting to run rdiff on
several servers.  All the servers i am backing up has
a large /home partition of about 100-400 gigs.   I
have had success running rdiff backing up partitions
of 30 gigs.  But I keep running into some issue with
the larger mount points.   Rdiff seems to fail and
since its crond  if the mount point backup fails the
night before, the backups continuously fail.    Now
since the backups fail on the /home partition, I was
thinking if its more sensible to perhaps
ssh hostname ls /home   and pipe that into a file so I
run rdiff on all the directories seperately.  I assume
this is better to do in terms of getting backups of
all the directories vs, losing the entire /home
partition.

In regards to the failures of backups. If the backups
fail, is there any way to recover, so that crond jobs
succeed every time, vs me having to monitor if the
backups succeed everyday?  If the backups fail, does
it error out in bash to 1, so that it knows that the
backup failed?  I wanted to script it so that if it
errors out, to remove the rdiff-data-backup directory
from that directory, and retry the backup.  Any one
out there run into these types of issues?

Also I have another question, If it errors out and I
remove the rdiff-backup-directory, I think I would
have to use the --force option to write into the same
directory again correct?   If i do this, does rdiff
essentially run incrementals against the destination
directory? Or does it overwrite everything again?