Re: [rdiff-backup-users] wanted: Open Source disk to disk backup for Win

From: David Kempe
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] wanted: Open Source disk to disk backup for Windows
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 08:49:09 +1100

Matt Wilkie wrote:

Would you please elaborate on this? Does this mean that data is
corrupted (the contents of files are changed)? Or (merely) that file
integrity is maintained but metadata like security permissions, owner,
etc. are not? The first is completely unacceptable while the latter could be worked around.

metadata aside (which I don't really care about) data is much more important - rdiff-backup on cygwin can do --list-increments, ie can output stuff, but then you try and do a --restore or --compare, it complains about metadata not existing and exits. So there is some bug in the admittedly unstable series that prevents it writing back to the file system. 0.12.5 doesn't have this problem. tho 0.12.5 doesn't have any fs detection features, which are pretty useful when it comes to disabling fsyncs. so 0.12.5 works, but crashes after it tries to fsync things.

Their may be some other way of making rdiff-backup restore on
windows, but I haven't had the time to fix that yet.

Is this case of you know what to do but haven't had the time/interest, or that the solution is not known while you are confident it is there, or that you just don't know yet?

The solution is out there somewhere - I haven't taken apart the code, and the guy I had working on it go distracted by the web interface. The web interface is now finished, but its for a client so until the client permits us to open a part of it, we can't release any of it. it would probably take a skilled python programmer with access to a windows machine and a copy of my package only a day or two of debugging to figure it out.

http://sol1.net/~dave/backup/

thank you.

please let me know how you go with that package. I have had very little feedback.

dave