Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Interesting write-up of 'compare-by-hash'.

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Interesting write-up of 'compare-by-hash'.
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 01:25:18 -0800

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 06:33:57PM -0800, Ben Escoto wrote:
> Does anyone know how BitKeeper can send only the differences without
> using a compare-by-hash algorithm?  I don't see how this is possible
> unless BitKeeper has abandoned the usual edit w/arbitrary editor and
> then checkin scheme.

IIRC BitKeeper uses a "explicit mark before editing each file" scheme
(a clean checkout marks all files as read-only), and I think it keeps
a clean local copy of the source tree as well.

That paper has some problems as well, see e.g. the general critiques
at
  http://www.venge.net/monotone/docs/Hash-Integrity.html

-- Nathaniel

--
"The problem...is that sets have a very limited range of
activities -- they can't carry pianos, for example, nor drink