Re: [rdiff-backup-users] win32 success! and one little problem :)

From: David Kempe
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] win32 success! and one little problem :)
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 08:13:40 +1100

Greg Freemyer wrote:
Great work.  I assume you are saying that you have a pure win32 version
working.  ie. No use of the cygwin dll.

sorry Greg, I just couldn't get that to work.
the c files for rdiff-backup gave me the same errors that I posted with mingw32 with Visual Studio 6. Looks like they only compile with gcc from cygwin or linux. and I tried your suggestion of compiling them with the gcc from cygwin with the right flags, it (the .o file) compiles with warnings, but then gives heaps more erros when you go onto the .dll. So I gave up on that and worked on paring back the cygwin version to as small as possible. this is merely a result of that. sorry, I'm not that brilliant at c to make it work :(

That is great.
not as great as you thought :)

A couple questions:

Are you using a native win32 /bin/sh, or a cygwin one?
cygwin /bin/sh.exe

What python are you using (win32 or cygwin)?

cywin.

Do you need the cygwin.dll installed at all on the installation
computer?

yes, but my setup.exe looks after that, and there should be no conflicts with existing setups (except for the outlined /bin/sh problem) as its all stored in its own self contained folder.

What is the status of backing up:
   Large files (over 2 GB used to be a problem in cygwin)

I haven't tested - would you like a copy to test? (mail me off list and I will send you a link.) I haven't included any documentation or licensing yet as its still in development, so I am reluctant to release it to the world without at least a copy of the GPL :)

   ACLs  (Access Control Lists)

according to http://pylibacl.sourceforge.net/ the pylibacl module doesn't support cygwin. previously when I was using cygwin ssh and not plink I had a problem where if your cygwin install didn't pick up on the permissions properly, ssh couldn't determine the owner of the ssh keys and refused to use them. On a FAT32 partition this was pretty impossible to get around. It is possible with a cygwin variable, but that didn't work as we have a Samba domain controller, which didn't mix well with it. So strangely enough I have to use plink because of samba :)

Anyway, pylibacl support aside, I think that ACL/permission support in cygwin is dodgy enough as to be a problem for many people. rdiff-backup would need a native win32 acl module I would have thought.

   Open files  (Most commercial packages use Open File Manager from St.
Bernard to make this work.  It can be configured for random backup
programs, but I have never tried to configure it before.)

I did ask them. Basically, OFM works by detecting an SMB using accessing shares, then provides something very similar to the WIN2K3 shadow copy to that user. At around AU$900 for a license, its not something I am going to go for - stopping the services is easy enough and I don't know a client that can't afford to not have exchange/mssql stopped for an hour or so each night. You might be different. Alternatively, both those programs have backup/deleted items retaining setups, so you can get around it that way. for exchange I just set the deleted items retention to 30days and stop the service and back it up. rdiff-backup can't do diffs on the database, so you can't do it very often unless you have a large disk (I use firewire). MSSQL can be configured to do dumps of its database pretty often, so you can back up the dumps with rdiff-backup.

As for other abitrary files, there is no reason why OFM wouldn't work, but it just relies on that smb user login method to tell when to offer the open files.

Congratulations on your success.  I tried a get pure win32 version about
a year ago and gave up, so I know it was not a trivial effort.

A pure win32 version would that some rewriting of rdiff-backup I am not prepared to undertake. Especially since the cygwin version just has the same license and the installer is only 2.3meg.

BTW: it would be great if you could put the above info on the wiki.

I'll try get to that this afternoon :)

dave