Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Trying to backup and restore root-partition...

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Trying to backup and restore root-partition...
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 16:27:23 -0800

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:37:47 -0800 Ben Escoto <address@hidden> wrote:
> If a file or directory gets excluded, then rdiff-backup acts as if it
> does not exist on the source side.  If a file does not exist on the
> source side, then rdiff-backup does not think it should exist on the
> destination side, and deletes it.
>
> The --exclude semantics were designed for backing up, where this makes
> sense IMHO, and only added to restoring later, where they don't make
> sense, as your bug report demonstrates.
>
> Sometime soon (next week?) I will try to make the --exclude options make
> more sense when restoring.

Ok, I've checked in a patch for this.  It should make it into 0.12.7 and
0.13.4.  If you want to test restoring with the --exclude options in the
meantime, apply the two patches at

http://savannah.nongnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup/rdiff_backup/Main.py.diff?r1=1.38.2.8&r2=1.38.2.9&only_with_tag=r0-12

http://savannah.nongnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup/rdiff_backup/restore.py.diff?r1=1.31.2.9&r2=1.31.2.10&only_with_tag=r0-12

Although they took me a few hours to find, these patches are relatively
short.