[rdiff-backup-users] Re: [librsync-devel] librsync: ERROR: (rs_file_copy

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: [librsync-devel] librsync: ERROR: (rs_file_copy_cb) seek failed: Invalid argument
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 13:43:42 -0800

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 10:35:09 -0700
Robert Weber <address@hidden> wrote:
> My librsync is loaded dynamically, but I did try rebuilding rdiff-backup
> with the -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE and the new librsync.   Still no luck.  This
> error appears to affect the same files every time.  But as the mirror gets
> further out of sync it snowballs.  For example, one of my mirrors has about
> 25million files.  When I discovered the erorr about 140thousand were out of
> date.  After rsync'ing the files now there are about 23Thousand out of
> sync.  This also happens on small files under i386 (linux and freebsd
> clients)(linux servers) so I wonder if something else is happening.  Here
> is an exerpt of -v9 for one of the bad files(/etc/hosts on a solaris 2.8
> box):

At first I thought it wasn't an rdiff-backup problem because there
seemed to be a similar librsync problem.  You said that 'rdiff' worked,
but I assumed that was because rdiff-backup handles more files, and only
a small percentage of them show errors.

But if the errors show up regularly on some files, and rdiff handles
those fine, then this explanation doesn't work.  I've just written a
short script at:

http://rdiff-backup.stanford.edu/python-rdiff

which simulates rdiff but uses the same librsync interface that
rdiff-backup uses.  Perhaps you could run this 'python-rdiff' on those
files and tell me if it works?

The relevant test for rdiff-backup would be signature on the destination
mirror file, delta on the source file, and then back to the destination
for the patch.