Re: [rdiff-backup-users] No space left on device - how to regress that?

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] No space left on device - how to regress that?
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:51:59 -0800

On 24 Oct 2003 10:44:53 +0200 Erik Forsberg <address@hidden> wrote:
> Last night the disk I'm rdiff-backuping to went full. I'm not
> surprised, since the disk is small (temporary solution) and I added a
> whole bunch of data the other day. The traceback is as follows:
> How do I recover from this situation?
>
> Hmm.. I could probably move the troublesome backup directory to
> another disk and regress it, and then move it back, but that feels
> like a awkward solution. What's the real solution?

Sorry for the delay responding.  This does indeed seem like a problem.
I had thought that regression shouldn't cause this type of error since
it is just undoing what the backup did, but there are (at least) two
complications:

1)  Regression isn't the exact opposite of a backup, since both
    recurse the tree in the same order.  Regression should in theory
    go backwards.

2)  Files like the backup.log may get written, and take up space.

The solution seems to be to actually regress backwards as much as
possible, and also to add a switch like --use-temp-directory.

If it seems close, you may try to, for instance, compress your
backup.log if that is big, to free up a little space.  If you need
more space, you can use the trick at

http://rdiff-backup.stanford.edu/FAQ.html#regress_failure

to make rdiff-backup think the directory is clean.  Then you can run
with --remove-older-than to save space.  Then finally you can replace
that current_mirror file and regress, which should hopefully work
then.

In general regressing should actually free up space.  I'm guessing the
problem is that the order is messed up, so a little too much temporary
space is required at some point.  Once you get over that bump it
should be ok.