Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Missing files after rdiff-backup

From: Wolfe Maykut
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Missing files after rdiff-backup
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 12:02:47 -0700

    WM> Hi.  I'm using rdiff-backup to backup a filesystem of a little
    WM> over 5 million files.  Running a find script and then
    WM> comparing differences I note that just over two hundred files
    WM> didn't make it over.

    Ben> I'm guessing it is an nfs problem.  It seems lots of people
    Ben> run into errors backup up onto an nfs filesystem (sessions
    Ben> seem to crash in the middle).  rdiff-backup is less demanding
    Ben> of the source directory, but probably missing files is the
    Ben> symptom.  Were there any error messages or warnings?

        Nope.  No reported errors, either in the rdiff-backup logs or
in /var/adm/messages.  The session_statistics file shows "Errors 0",
and the related file_statistics actually shows that the files were
copied:

acedump/2003-07-01-02:00 0 0 0 NA
acedump/2003-07-01-02:00/current_auth 0 534 534 NA
acedump/2003-07-01-02:00/license.rec 0 512 512 NA
acedump/2003-07-01-02:00/sdconf.rec 0 1024 1024 NA
acedump/2003-07-01-02:00/sdlog.dmp 0 110026 110026 NA
acedump/2003-07-01-02:00/sdserv.dmp 0 185284 185284 NA

        ...though really they weren't.

    Ben> Also, have you tried running rdiff-backup again?  I wonder if
    Ben> another random collection of files wouldn't be updated, or
    Ben> there would be a problem with the same ones.

        I've only done a test on the most recent version.  A cron will
be running again next week; I too am curious to see what happens.

    WM> Here's how it looks on the original filesystem:

    Ben> I'm not sure I understand this listing.  Did you edit out the
    Ben> file names?  If there are multiple files with the same name
    Ben> in the same directory, rdiff-backup will complain and only
    Ben> back one of them up I think.

        No, this is just a list of the directories.  It copied over
most, but not all, though they all seem identical in permissions and
availability and they all have unique names.

        Thanks,

                --Wolfe