[rdiff-backup-users] ACLs/EAs (who is the audience?)

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] ACLs/EAs (who is the audience?)
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 09:46:08 -0800

  GF> I hope you do move in that direction.  There are surprisingly
  GF> few tools to backup a Samba share currently.  And none of them
  GF> have the rapid restore capability of rdiff-backup.

What kind of ACLs or EAs does Samba support?  POSIX(-like?) ACLs and
no EAs?

In general it would be nice to know why people need (currently or in
the future) ACLs and EAs, and what platforms they need them on.  I'm
guessing that the most common configurations are:

1.  Linux - doesn't support ACLs/EAs now but will with 2.6, at which
    point hackers will start using them for tons of random stuff.

2.  MacOS X - Do MacOS files still have resource forks?  If they do,
    are they accessible through a EA interface (e.g. getxattr())?

3.  Various other platforms (Solaris, OpenBSD) which support POSIX
    ACLs but not EAs.  These are generally used by system
    administrators to solve complex permission issues.

Does this sound right?  How does Samba fit in?  Also,

4.  Where ACLs and EAs are concerned, is a simple backup all that is
    required, or would it be much more useful if the mirror files had
    all the ACLs correctly mapped?