Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Ways to speed rdiff-backup?

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Ways to speed rdiff-backup?
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 01:04:12 -0800

On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 03:56:12PM -0500, Stelios K. Kyriacou wrote:
> I would like to ask for some more intelligent people to explain to me
> why rdiff-backup seems to take from 6 hours up to 16 hours (avegage maybe
> 7 hours) for backing a 50GB filesystem in
> which only 150 files (just an example) have changed?
>
> compare with: In contrast the rsync-based mirror finishes in 10 minutes I
> do know that i am comparing differnt beasts :-) but wanted to mention it
> anyway

I'm not sure what the problem is.  Is rdiff-backup CPU limited (on
either computer is rdiff-backup consistently using up a lot of CPU)?
About rsync vs rdiff-backup I just performed some tests which I will
report on in the next email.  But it is definitely taking more time
than it should for you.  Could you post one of your session_statistics
files?