[rdiff-backup-users] Ways to speed rdiff-backup?

From: Stelios K. Kyriacou
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Ways to speed rdiff-backup?
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 15:56:12 -0500

Hi

First, I would like to thank Ben Escoto for a very nice and quite useful
program.

I would like to ask for some more intelligent people to explain to me
why rdiff-backup seems to take from 6 hours up to 16 hours (avegage maybe
7 hours) for backing a 50GB filesystem in
which only 150 files (just an example) have changed?

Here are the details:

backed-up data size:
I rdiff-backup about 50GB of data daily

version:
rdiff-backup 0.11.0

network issues: Network between the two computers is 1GBit but there is
other traffic too in the same network so I dont know if this is the source
of the slowness problem. NFS is the method of accessing the computer to be
backed-up.

example:  Today I started the backup at 1am and it finished at 11am (10
hours) It only had to increment about 142 files

extra options: The only thing extra is the use of the -v5 option

compare with: In contrast the rsync-based mirror finishes in 10 minutes I
do know that i am comparing differnt beasts :-) but wanted to mention it
anyway

Thanks a lot in advance!
Stelios