Re: ratpoison gets confused about what is the active frame

From: Spiros Bousbouras
Subject: Re: ratpoison gets confused about what is the active frame
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2021 12:20:13 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 4 Apr 2021 13:11:42 -0700  Ian Hickson  wrote :
> On Sun, Apr 4, 2021 at 2:41 AM Axel Svensson <mail@axelsvensson.com> wrote:

> When this problem manifests, it doesn't matter where I move the focus. I
> can manually shift the focus around to different frames (using "focusleft",
> "focusdown", etc), and in each case whatever window is in that frame does
> get keyboard focus, and ratpoison does display "Current Frame" in the
> center of that frame, and I can use the window fine. But if I try to change
> which window is in that frame using "prev" or "next", a different frame's
> window changes. Indeed, once this issue triggers, it's always the same
> frame that changes window regardless of how many times I shift the focus
> around.
>
> > Other than that, you say something about an "offending
> > frame". Maybe it's the window that offends you? Badly behaving
> > applications can steal focus sometimes
> >

> By "offending frame" I meant the frame that is capturing "prev"/"next"
> ("offending" doesn't mean "causing offense", it means "causing problems").

Yes , that's what Axel meant. So the question is , is there for example
some specific application which always runs on the frame which seems to
get the commands you execute although that frame does not have focus ? Can
you think of anything else which may be common among the frames which
"steal" the commands ?

When the problems arises you may also try to execute the commands (i.e.
prev , next , etc.) from the  ratpoison command line (i.e. after typing
C-t :) to make sure there isn't anything strange happening with your
keybindings.

> Is there any way to log ratpoison's behaviour to a file so that I can see
> if there's anything common in the logs when the problem manifests?

Type from the shell command line
    ratpoison -c sfdump > file

There are a few similar commands like  sdump , fdump .The relevant
commands tend to have "dump" as part of their name.

> In any case I guess the answer to my original question is that this is not
> a known thing. I'll see if I can figure out how to reproduce it.

It has never come up on the list as far as I can remember.